Thursday, May 11, 2006

2457 More about skin care

If you are 60+, your left arm probably looks a little older than your right arm. For you youngsters, that's because in the "olden days" automobiles didn't have air conditioning, at least not the ones we drove in our teens and twenties when most of the sun damage happens. So we steered with our right hand, casually laid our left arm on the open driver's side window, with perhaps the index finger touching the steering wheel (if you're reading this across the pond, this will probably be reversed). Consequently, your left arm got a lot more sun and wind burn than your right. Pause to reflect: I'm sure Murray will correct me on this and say that the index finger controlled the car and the right arm was around his girl friend of the moment.

Or at least I thought this about my own arms as I was smearing on my Peaches and Creme this morning. So I counted brown spots, aka age spots (I'm retired and have time to do this). I have about 10 tiny spots on my right arm (if you are a Caucasian gardener or a golfer, your entire arm is probably a brown spot). My left arm is about the same but it has a slightly splotchy look, like there might be dozens of baby brown spots ready to bloom. It had one large spot which I had removed 2 weeks ago which still looks extremely mad that it got burned off. It wasn't precancerous the doctor said, just an ugly brown spot.

No comments: