Friday, May 19, 2006

2487 Why can illegals get Social Security and I can't?

"The Senate voted yesterday to allow illegal aliens to collect Social Security benefits based on past illegal employment -- even if the job was obtained through forged or stolen documents." Story here.

I wonder if I got Mexican citizenship and snuck back across the border, I'd be able to collect my own Social Security?

Because my pension is from state teachers (STRS Ohio), I can't collect either my SS or the spousal part of my husband's. I think the NEA really ought to look into this, although I know it would rip out their liberal souls to do it. And yes, I'm well aware this happened under Reagan; that doesn't make it right to give criminals with forged IDs and SS numbers benefits and deny them to me.

Would almost serve 'em right if it was my SS number they stole! They couldn't get a dime.


4 comments:

Norma said...

Finally, after 50 years, we agree on something.

Cathy said...

Norma,
Our school system opted out of Social Security for teachers, so I am in the same boat as you. :(

Anonymous said...

I agree whole heartedly. When my husband past away in Nov., Social Security said I had to wait for 2 years before I can collect anything. Even if I am under the doctors care, they said there is nothing psycologically wrong with me. Go figure!

Camille said...

As a Texas teacher, I am in the same boat. As I was a stay at home mom for 14 years and only 'recently' started teaching (7 years worth.) I do not claim to have contributed to SS very much on my own but It annoys me no end that I will have no access to the spousal part of my husbands SS.

If Republicans are going to just behave as Dems. what is the point of electing them?