Tuesday, May 02, 2006

2434 Listen while you walk

If you dislike exercise, it helps to take along a little entertainment. I've got Mozart in my CD player, and Rush Limbaugh and Glenn Beck on the radio. I think Rush is #1 and Glenn is #3 in talk radio. Rush is good; really good. If you don't like him, you won't believe any of this. Here's why I like Rush Limbaugh.

  • He's positive
  • he believes in America
  • he's upbeat
  • and believes you can do anything if you put your mind to it
  • he can make even sports interesting--former sports announcer (for me that's a huge accomplishment)
  • I think he's honest--without dwelling on it, he's talked about his addiction to prescription drugs and rehab and how much he's learned from the experience; if you don't believe him, you'd better stay away from Al-Anon and AA because you won't believe them either
  • he varies his program--it's not all politics
  • he's not a victim
  • and doesn't whine
  • he is a conservative, but not a party-line man
  • he has a wonderful voice--one of the best in radio
  • he's articulate
  • has good bumper music (former disc jockey)
  • on open line Friday--he gives even liberals a chance to go to the mat with him
  • usually he avoids talking about religion
  • it's often like radio theater if you can remember that far back


I only listen occasionally, but am rarely disappointed. Today because of a morning rain I walked in the afternoon, so I caught his show. There are things I don't like--but I control the dial and I switch to FM country music if he's off on a tangent that makes little sense. For instance, he really needs to give up his obsession with Bill Clinton. Gracious. It's been 6 years. Being critical of the Clintons' marriage is bizarre for someone married and divorced 3 times. Also, occasionally, his listeners know more than he does--and that's hard for him. He was doing a parody of Chairman Hu of China a few days ago, and a Chinese-American listener, a loyal fan, called to correct his ignorance of Chinese laws and customs. He just didn't get it and he missed a great opportunity to say he'd at least look into her better grasp of her own culture.

I know he has staff who put his recordings together (they probably get bonuses to find the most outlandish material), but today's montage of "President on the aircraft carrier for mission accomplished 3rd anniversary" where he ran back-to-back Democrats in Congress and then back-to-back MSM reporters (his newest favorite term for them is "drive-by media") was really hilarious. There was no comment except from the participants--and you know them from their voices. Who sounds more absurd than pompous Chris Matthews? Rush pondered whether the talking points came down from the Democratics in Congress or DNC to the MSM, or if there is a third group out there giving them both instructions on what to say. When you watch only one newscast, you don't see how the same story, with the same political slant, moves like lined up dominoes until it gets the famous Rush touch and they all collapse.


5 comments:

Sally said...

love the idea of walking to Motzart

Bonita said...

I walk only listening to the sounds of the world around me - mainly to watch out for passing traffic. But, when we go canoeing, and Public Radio is on, I like listening to "Prairie Home Companion" and "Car Talk"....I guess I like humor, lite-stuff.

Norma said...

If I were walking in Montana, I'd probably only be enjoying the scenery. Today I started Planets by Dava Sobel in my cd player for my walk in the park.

Susan said...

Dear Norma,
I'm so happy to read your list about Rush. I was beginning to think that only nasty people still listen to him. I have been listening to him voice many of my own opinions since about 1990...if he was national then, I was listening (I was a very early 'Ditto-head'). I don't listen to much any more, but today I had a brief opportunity and I took advantage of it.

Of course, you know I love Mozart, etc. when I need a lift. I think my 9-year old would agree with both Rush and Wolfie as well!

Susan said...

I should blog about the time I talked to Rush. If was kinda funny, but I'll save it for my blog. I've got to get blogging again...maybe this will be a starting point.