Wednesday, May 03, 2006

2435 On loving our pets

You're going to be so mad at me when I say your pet is not "just like your child," or "like a member of your family." I've been a daughter, a mother, a wife, a sister, a niece, a cousin, a grand daughter and a girl friend; and I've also had dogs and cats (and a horse) in my life. I can name all the dogs and cats I've had and how they died, and how I felt. I can still see my puppy under the wheels of that bus when I was six years old. Trust me when I say--it's not the same. Not even close, and if you think that, sit down and reassess your life's relationships. Something's missing. Something's messing with your mind.

I've buried two of my children and I've had a miscarriage and a botched adoption. Trust me folks. This is the voice of experience. Your dog is a dog. It is not a child. You can love her, play with her, look forward to spending time with her, and even trust her with your life, but she is a dog and will always be a dog. Loving him will not make him something he isn't.

You have accepted tremendous responsibilities in pet ownership, an unwritten contract to love and care for an animal who will become completely dependent on you. And I truly hope you're holding up your end, because this animal can't reason and make choices. I hope you've had him neutered and that you don't let her run loose to ruin other people's lawns, gardens and enjoyment of their privacy. I hope you've trained him so he doesn't attack other animals, that you're picking up his fecal piles from public land and easements and I hope you're not breeding Susie or Max indiscriminately and setting up shop as a puppy mill.

Now what in these examples would indicate we are talking about family members? Keep your child in a cage all day, or let her urinate in the neighbor's daffodils, or let him chase cars on the highway, and see how far you get with your excuses when you're arrested for child abuse. But dogs do it, even the dogs you love and think "they are like family," and no one will arrest you unless your dog maims and kills someone.

I know there are "animal rights" people out there who think animals should have legal rights accorded people, but that's the fringe group (for now--but they're coming down the road in packs closing in on us). I'm not addressing that. I'm talking to those of you who know that this four footed animal has a life expectancy of 8-10 years, will grovel at your feet when you are displeased, or will perform tricks (if you've trained her), or will play with a chew toy. It won't argue, discuss, listen to music, make love, worship God, bring you gifts on a holiday, contribute to the family income, clean the house, fix a bowl of soup when you're sick, fold the laundry, or fix a flat tire for you.

What's so wrong with loving your dog as a dog, or your cat as a cat? Is that so terrible? Is it a love that dares not say what it is? Why do you want to make this wonderful God-created animal into something it can never be?

Polka-dot, my last dog




No comments: