Sunday, May 28, 2006

2518 Who would lie about Spudnuts

My entries on how to fix a broken zipper (can't be done) and memories of Spudnuts in Urbana, IL (University of Illinois) in the 1950s and 60s get a lot of hits. This week I heard from Mark, who left this comment:

"My grandfather, Herman Trapp and my dad, Fred Steffens; owned and ran the Spudnut stores in Urbana, IL until my grandfather’s stroke in the middle ‘60s. I love spudnuts and Krispy Kremes don’t come close. I remember as a kid, crawling on bags of potato flour and helping Grandpa stock the stores on the weekends. Glad to see you have fond memories of the Spudnut and the Spudnut coffee house.

Mark Steffens
CPS - Sales and Technical Service"

Now, I haven't checked out the veracity of this memory, but I want to believe it, so I asked for his permission to post it. Roadfood.com has a forum about Spudnuts, the various shops, and people like me still yearning for them.

Here's a recipe for spudnuts, using mashed potatoes, not potato flour, but this lady says they taste really good.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I was born and raised in Indy, and remember a Spudnuts shop in downtown Indy, back in the early 50's. I agree on the Spudnut, nothing else could touch them. So light and fluffy and delicious, and like Lay's, you couldn't eat just one. Thos puppies were addictive as heroin! Sadly, I understand the parent organization went belly up, and the franchisees were left to fend for themselves. The one I knew so well became a Knife and Fork restaurant, and I thought the Spudnut had gone the way of the dodo bird.

Bring back the Spudnut!!!!