Friday, May 05, 2006

2441 Party Time!

The social calendar is really filling up. Tonight my daughter and I are going out for dinner while our fellas are out of town. I expect the talk will be about little Abby and her liver problems (Chihuahua). My guy will be at Lakeside and hers will be visiting his mother who is in hospice. Then tomorrow night we're invited to a Kentucky Derby party. No, we don't fly down, but the hosts are fabulous cooks and plan themed parties and have a very interesting, historical home. I have to read the sports page today so I know which horse to bet my dollar on. I'm supposed to wear a hat, but don't have one.

Then Sunday evening we meet with our new SALT group (couples group from church). Lovely people, delightful conversation. Ah, and then on Friday we are hosting some friends here for a farewell dinner (pot luck) for one of our pastors and his wife who are going back to the mission field, this time in Haiti (about 14 years ago they were in Camaroon). It will be a terrible loss for us, but they love mission work and are now empty nesters.

Speaking of parties. My son took a week in mid-April for vacation and put in his garden. I'm a woman with a brown thumb and no interest, but even I know it's awfully early for gardens in Ohio. However, the weather has been fabulous and we've had no late Spring frosts (last year it snowed the end of April). But some birds did stop by and have a huge party in his freshly installed young plants and ate them to the nubbins. He's now replanted--about the right time, too. I suggested chicken wire because I'd seen my mother do that, and now it's pretty secure so I should have a source of garden fresh tomatoes this summer. He's got a painting of Mom in her garden (by my husband) in his living room and says he knows Grandma's tending garden for God, but that He probably doesn't let her mow in electrical storms as she was inclined to do. (Interesting what kids remember, isn't it?)



Also next week, although not in the party category: a hair apppointment (roots, you know), writing class, and helping with the church picture directory. I've got a new audio book (Planets by Dava Sobel) for my walks in the park. Retirement's sure tough, innit?

1 comment:

Renee Nefe said...

I'm itching to get my garden planted too, but here it's best to wait for mid-May and even then we can get a freeze after that.

Darly answered the questions and had some comments on your suggestions. I know that she'll be great at whatever career she chooses, even if its being a mom.