Friday, August 21, 2009

Holding my breath

This morning we're taking our house guests to the Patio Restaurants for pancakes. They love those, and it's this food critic's opinion that the Patio has the best on the peninsula. So this morning after my walk I poured my chubby legs in some linen short pants (don't know if they are Capri's) of a gorgeous aqua color and left the waist unbuttoned. They didn't fit at all in June, because I'd washed them (tag said dry clean only). However, how dumb would I have to be to pay $4 at the thrift shop, then $6 to dry clean them? I'd never buy this at a retail shop--the pants have little beads around the cuffs with a shear fabric insert. But for $4, they looked like they said, "fun in the sun."

I thought it would be easy to lose my Ireland and Italy gained weight this summer--maybe 1/2 lb a week sounded reasonable. However, even without a fast food restaurant within miles, and Abigail's Tea Room closed, I managed to find my way to the crackers and cheese and peanut butter in my own kitchen, as well as second helpings.

However, I have been walking every day, some days even 4 or 5 miles. My friend Lynne is now up to 10 miles a day--I think it's the competition from her favorite Republican slug. So although I haven't lost anything, the clothes are looser. My daughter, who was told about 6 months ago that she would need yet another medication to control her fast approaching diabetes, said NO, I'll do anything, even exercise. This is my sweet baby who smiled up from the crib the 4 hours she was awake, and then slept the rest of the time. (If you have an exceptionally "good" child who never minds going down for a nap, and sleeps 12 hours at night, Hashimoto's might be in her future.) And boy,has she exercised, dropping 4 sizes, now getting into size 10 slacks. So it can be done. Also, all her lab numbers are now normal. That's the good news--she's beautiful at any size, it's her health that's important.

No comments: