Thursday, September 21, 2006

2883 Thursday Thirteen about health fads, habits and myths.

Like many Americans, I'm concerned about my health. After all, if I don't care, who will? So I do things now that I probably should have done many years ago, and used to do some things better than I do these days.

1. I watch my weight. I watch it go up. And then I'm really careful and I watch it go down. This is called yo-yoing, and all the ladies know this is not good, but we all do it. My reunion is next July, so it is time to start watching it go down again. I need to plan now and decide if I want to be a size 6 again, or fill out my facial wrinkles and be a 10.

2. I exercise semi-regularly, in fits and starts, with lots of good intentions. If good intentions and resolve were good for me, I'd live to be a very toned 120. I was never a good athlete and hate to get sweaty, so I don't look back with regret. Negative thoughts are bad for you, so I have none about formerly being buff. Never played tennis, golf, climbed mountains, swam competitively or tap danced like some of you other bloggers.

3. I've never smoked. This is a biggie for good health. It's #1 in our culture. Kills thousands every year and cripples many more. If I want to throw out my arm patting myself on the back, this would be the time.

4. I've never had a beer--this helps my brain cells with 8 blogs and the weight thing in #1, since beer is pretty high in calories, and most of the people I've observed don't drink just one.

5. After 2002 I began having a glass of red wine occasionally. This is supposed to help my heart and protect me from all sorts of bad things, but mainly it just makes me dizzy and fuzzy. I just can't imagine why people are fond of putting things in their bodies that cause them to feel yucky and addled. That comes with time so why speed it up? I've had conversations with people whose brains were damaged by alcohol and those who have Alzheimer's, and trust me, there's very little difference.

6. I stay out of the sun as much as possible. I'm very fair, but why would I want to be brown if it will just promote wrinkles and skin cancer? I have discovered sun screen in the last 5 years, but most of the time I forget to use it and I think it makes me smell like a swimmer. See #2.

7. I have a pet. I've read a lot of articles about this and I think the research is pretty squishy, but I'm going with the guys who say a pet helps your blood pressure and heart rate, and as long as my daughter is willing to take our kitty in while we're out of town, I'll go with it.

8. I love fruits and vegetables. My favorite breakfast is an apple, because if I eat a "healthy breakfast" I'm hungry all day. See #1. I particulary love Honey Crisp, and it is just about time for them to come on the market. (Fall)

9. I'm not o.c. about cleanliness. Keeps the resistance up and saves wear and tear on the body.

10. I get an annual check-up. My doctor usually reminds me about #1, but other than that he tells me I'm a good girl and then we talk about church, family and community matters.

11. I obey the speed limits and traffic rules, and I don't drive a lot, nor do I drive much at night when all the crazies are out there. See #4. I wear my seat belt always. I mean, if I'm in the car.

12. I chose healthy parents and grandparents, and most have lived to near 90. Now that doesn't always work if you smoke or drink, but it helps.

13. I read a lot of medical books and articles and used to work in a medical library so I know how to find all the scary stuff on paper or on-line. Even so, I like to read the current medical journals and not rely on the rehashed health scares. But basically, it boils down to: eat all the colors, in moderation, get 8 hours of sleep, don't smoke, drink lots of water and marry a nice person and stay that way. That pretty much sums it up.

Get the Thursday Thirteen code here!
The purpose of the meme is to get to know everyone who participates. Visiting fellow Thirteeners is encouraged! Leave a comment and I'll add your name and URL.

I don't use Mr. Linky, so you don't need to register and your links will stay put! When I visit your site, I'll leave a comment only.
Visitors and visited:
Mrs. Lifecruiser, The Shrone, Southern Girl, It’s all about, Nathalie, Kaye, Sunshine Blues, Joan, Raggedy , TC, Just Tug, Darla, Nat, Mary,
Jane, Kendra, Ghost, Chelle Y. Aloysius, Buttercup and Bean, Carey, Lazy Daisy, C.A.Marks, Blessed Assurances, Beckadoodles, Test, Lyndsay, TNChick, Dorothy, BabyBlue, Friday's Child, MommyBa, Ma, Ribbiticus, Chaotic Mom, has diet plans, Jane, Randy, who has even more blogs than I do! Kate, Barb, Michelle, Bubba, Kelly,

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love your list! Unfortunately, I'm very familiar with your #1....
Thanks for visiting my TT (I was quite shocked to hear you say you didn't knew 'my' actors!! :) )

Have a great day!

Anonymous said...

It's a great list! I will stop smoking again when I'm back home! Seatbelts are a necessity!!! I agree about speed limits. Don't shorten your life by going beyond it :) And I wish I could exercise more!

Happy Thursday!

Anonymous said...

Great list of how to keep healthy. I used to smoke but quit. Sometimes when I'm irritable I fell like doing it, but I refrain myself. I'm with you and stay the speed limits, and I don't like driving at night either.

I'm up too.

ribbiticus said...

what a great tt! mine's up! ;)

Chaotic Mom said...

Wow. My topic this week was about my weight. But I see on your list some other health issues I could address, too.

I like your TREES in the background! ;)

I've posted my Thursday Thirteen. Enjoy!

Jane said...

All good things, you will be here a long time....that's a good thing!
My T13 is up.

BlondeBrony said...

Great tips on how to stay healthy.
Thanks for sharing.
Happy TT.

Anonymous said...

Great list of things to keep you healthy and happy!
I agree with the smoking thing...that drives me nuts! Whenever we're in public and someone is smoking my son (8yrsold) says "why is that fun? it just makes the world sick!" Yep it does!

good luck with your yo-yoing, I'm doing that too!

Natsthename said...

I love beer!! I usually drink Amstel Light, which has only 2 WW points per bottle, and I save my weekly points to have 2 beers on Friday! I have removed 40 lbs that way, and I think it's ok to have it! Cigarette's have NO redeeming factors at all, though. Nothing ages a woman more than smoking!!

Great 13! (and go for the size 10 with wrinkles filled out! tee hee)

Joan said...

Interesting post -- as usual! I especially liked your last paragraph. It is succinct and effective.

Randy Kirk said...

You could add to your list being a person of faith and attending church on a regular basis.

I would recommend that you add to your wine, some dark chocolate and green tea. No negatives. All positive.

Darla said...

I love # 12. Congratulations on your foresight. :) And #9 is inspired! I'm going to remember that.