Wednesday, September 13, 2006

2857 You just don't say this in a small town

Right Murray? Sylvia? Amy?


"Last month, New York Times Sunday Styles columnist Bob Morris aimed a finicky gaze at the upstate town where he and his partner, literary agent Ira Silverberg, keep a second home.

Mr. Morris, 48, meant to poke fun at the clash between his own metropolitan snootiness and small-town reality. “When I’m there,” he wrote, “I see a new gas station with a sign so big I’m convinced it’s illegal, a market that would be adequate only if you could eat lottery tickets, fishing camps that resemble trailer parks, a river that shouldn’t be so brown, and an unpainted gazebo off Main Street that makes a tiny park look like a cluttered lawn furniture outlet.”

“I didn’t think anyone would notice,” Mr. Morris said. “I didn’t even name the town.”
Mike Calderone, New York Observer, story about the newspaper wars that resulted from his misplaced observations.

No comments: