Monday, September 25, 2006

2894 The high cost of living in 1913

While waiting for my luggage to be delivered (it went to Las Vegas instead of Columbus yesterday) and being put on hold by Road Runner (my internet connection was down after some big storms in the midwest), I decided to clean off my desk. My goodness! What a nest of useless scraps and bits. In addition to old phone numbers and messages from only God knows, I found an article I'd printed about a year ago called, "The waste of private housekeeping" by Mrs. Charlotte Perkins Gilman*," author of The Home: Its Work and Influence. It was published in the Annals of the American Academy of Political and Social Science, Vol. 48, 91-95, July 1913. I don't recall why I printed it--perhaps so I could make fun of it in a blog?

Her thesis is that wives and mothers do the domestic work of servants, without regard to fitness or experience, and that this is extremely inefficent. First, only incompetent people would be servants, and second, marriage keeps women in perpetual apprenticeships, because it is inefficient to have 15 out of 16 families using "mother-service." If you were around in the 1970s or 1980s, you'll recognize all this since the feminists pulled it from the archives and dressed it up a bit.

Mrs. Gillman, of course, was one of the 1/16 who paid someone else to do her wife and mother work (probably a woman) while she pointed out the waste in having the other 15/16 doing repetitive work in a single kitchen whereas "one properly constituted kitchen can provide food for 500 people, equal to one hundred families, and with space, fittings and supplies certainly not exceeding those of 10 private kitchens." She was quite specific about the savings in sinks, ranges, tables, refrigerators, pantrys, cupboards, fuel, to say nothing of breakage and repairs, and purchasing in quantity. Ten skilled experts, she estimated, using proper tools and conditions, would be cheaper than 100 clumsy beginners (newly married women in imperfect kitchens).

She concluded: "The professionalization of cooking, cleaning and laundry work should be hailed not only by the economist but by the hygienist, the eugenist, and the social psychologist as a long upward step in world progress."

Ah, Ms. Perkins Gilman, welcome to the progress you envisioned--of gleaming fast food kitchens, long commutes in gas guzzlers to the day care center, millions of mommies wrestling each other at the glass ceiling, coming home to a housecleaning and gardener service that employs people of questionable green cards, and a home health company that sends a Somali to take care of grandma.

[Gilman is a favorite in women's literature classes for "The Yellow Wallpaper," a short story about a woman who goes insane from domesticity.]

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

How interesting with such an old article! I love to read about old times.

But I don't love the way that things has evolved. Not at all. I'll say that it's backwards all of it. I could go on and on about this, but I won't.....

What's the matter with the world today?

I thought the meaning was that it should happen some EVOLUTION and not the opposite.

*heavy sigh*