Monday, September 18, 2006

Monday Memories: The neighborhood story I missed

When I'm at Lakeside, I only read USAToday occasionally, so I missed the story September 1 about Krema Nut Co. and the Chef-O-Nette Restaurant, two local favorites of mine that were featured in a story about "down home dining."

When we moved here in 1967 we rented an apartment that was one block from the Chef-O-Nette--in fact, I think we took a short cut through a neighbor's drive-way into an alley to get to it. We bought a house in the same neighborhood and later when my daughter was in pre-school, I started stopping by with my son to get a cup of coffee for me and a treat for him just to pass the time. I became one of the regulars, dropping in when the kids were in school across the street. I can't remember how many years I spent discussing the news of the day and gossiping at the second bay--maybe 10 or 15. "Our bay" even entered a float in the 4th of July parade and had picnics and birthday parties together. Eventually, the opening time (7:30 a.m.) wasn't early enough when I worked downtown and the university and I switched to Paul's Pantry in Grandview or one of the local McDonald's. We still love the Chef's tapioca pudding.

"Tremont Chef-O-Nette, 2090 Tremont Center, Upper Arlington; 614-488-8444. There's an abundance of charm at this bright, cheery and expansive diner, not only on the menu but also on the walls, which are adorned with numerous plaques and mayoral proclamations thanking the owners for participating in various parades and charity drives. The Chef-O-Nette opened in a shopping center in 1955 in this now-upscale suburb of Columbus (Jack Nicklaus is its most famous native), and from day one, it has amply fed the locals with bedrock fare such as pancakes and waffles, burgers, ham steak with pineapple rings, red-sauced pastas and fried seafood. Most entrees are under $9. The regional touches are modest but reliable: specials such as spareribs with sauerkraut and mashed potatoes, tapioca pudding, cherry cobbler and a salad of lettuce topped with cubes of American, Swiss and provolone cheeses."

Krema Peanut Butter is a staple in my cupboard. I've used their products for about 30 years. However, I've never tried the take-out.

"About 18 months ago at its flagship retail store, a small take-out operation was added, offering about two dozen variations on the peanut butter-and-jelly theme. Sandwiches ($3 to $4) are made with white bread or whole wheat and come layered with almond, cashew or peanut butters in creamy, crunchy or hot/spicy and various fruit toppings. Typical is the PB Apple Cheesecake, made with peanut butter on one side and cheesecake cream cheese and chunky apple fruit spread on the other.

Desserts ($2.25 to $3.25) include sundaes, milkshakes and splits made with peanut-butter ice cream and fruit sauces. The PB&J Classic Old Timer Sundae is the most sinfully delightful with peanut-butter and strawberry ice creams, peanut-butter topping, whipped cream and sliced strawberries."

Click here for the Monday Memories Code, Blogroll, Graphics, & Other Information


Trackbacks, pings, and comment links are accepted and encouraged!

My visitors and visited this week are:
Ma, Viamarie, Mrs. Lifecruiser, Reverberate58, Lazy Daisy, Lady Bug,

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

They both sound scrumptious! Mmmmmm, there goes my taste buds. :)

My MM is up.

Viamarie said...

A beautiful story.

Mine is up now.

Anonymous said...

Ah, delicious memories. Great memories and well written as usual :-)