Wednesday, September 20, 2006

2880 The Getty Center Museum

What a special birthday treat. We visited the Getty Museum yesterday In Los Angeles (there is also one in Malibu), and although I had read many articles about it when it first began appearing in my husband's magazines, I was not prepared to fall in love with it. We both thought the design was wonderful and very human, unlike so much of modern architecture that seems to fit the whim of the designer with CAD. We started with the architectural tour with a docent, and if you care about architecture as well as paintings, drawings, sculpture, etc., I would recommend beginning there. This is a place to go back to often--as long as your brother-in-law is driving and a native Californian.

Rubens and Brueghel, a working friendship. Until seeing this exhibit I was unaware that the great masters worked together on some paintings. I'm looking a bit Rubenesque myself here, don't you think?



I wish I'd gone inside, but there was so much to see. This is the library/research institute. Oh, I just must go back!


The separation of the buildings and exhibits allows for many visitors without feeling closed in and cramped.





No comments: