Thursday, September 14, 2006

Thursday Thirteen


13 things I just don't get (in no particular order). I do like to have certain things make sense. Call it age, but there are common every day sights and experiences that just baffle me. I come up with a blank for an explanation on these thirteen.

1) Declarative sentences that end with a question mark. (The voice rises at the end and the eyebrows go up even though there is no question.) Women do this much more than men. I would almost rather hear the word "like" 15 times in a sentence, than hear it go up at the end.

2) Why I would put on 20 lbs three years after I retired, but not the first two years. It's not the how (too many calories), but the timing.

3) Ugly art. Why bother to create it or buy it? We have friends who spent about $70,000 on their son's fine art education, and I use the term loosely. I would demand my money back.

4) The moral level and premise of popular TV shows like Sopranos (New Jersey psychopaths and their relationships), Desperate Housewives (botoxed and enhanced women as non-productive mooches sleeping with the help), Weeds (Tupperware type woman who makes ends meet by starting her own door-to-door pot dealing business), etc. If those are your favorite shows, what would you be turning off? Football and golf on TV look better to me all the time.

5) Rancorous political pundits in blogs. Left or right--are they just letting off steam or harming the nation? The left far outnumber the right and are even more outrageous and conspiratorial, I just don't link to them. I've already told you I don't read potty mouth bloggers in another "13." Nothing worse than a woman stumbling up to her blog template with a dirty mouth.

6) Fashion trends that glorify sway backs, bellies and muffin tops. I hope the natural waist returns soon to slacks and skirts, someplace other than the L.L.Bean catalog.

7) Poker and gambling glorified on cable TV. We don't have enough addictions in our society? Just invest in stocks. Held long enough, you'll get about 10% over time.

8) Loud, thudding worship music. Do you think God is deaf? Or does your music director own stock in Peavey?

9) Crotch grabbing musicians and poets. Ode to crabs? And inseams that start below the knees. Oh please. Those guys look like men in skirts.

10) Why sex offenders on the Internet or next door is a left-right issue. Why public librarians are such wimps about it.

11) Why we blame restaurants, advertisers and food vendors for Americans being overweight (and Europeans are just a decade behind us). No one is dragging us into the store and force feeding us.

12) Why we can't build roads that will keep up with the traffic, instead of creating life time employment for state workers.

13) Men with earrings. Sissies. The whole bunch. With a pony tail and tattoo they really look dumb and driving a pick-up truck won't change it. Leave the tresses to ladies wearing dresses. Next they'll want their own scrunchies.

Get the Thursday Thirteen code here!
The purpose of the meme is to get to know everyone who participates. Visiting fellow Thirteeners is encouraged! Leave a comment and I'll add your name and URL.

I don't use Mr. Linky, so you don't need to register and your links will stay put! When I visit your site, I'll leave a comment only.
Visitors and visited:
Mrs. Lifecruiser, The Shrone, same birthday as mine, Southern Girl, It’s all about, Nathalie, Kaye, Sunshine Blues, Joan, Raggedy , TC, Just Tug, Darla, don’t miss this one! Nat, Mary,
Jane, Kendra, Ghost, Chelle Y. Aloysius, Buttercup and Bean, Carey, Lazy Daisy, C.A.Marks, Blessed Assurances, Beckadoodles, Test, Lyndsay, TNChick, Dorothy, BabyBlue, Friday's Child,

18 comments:

Anonymous said...

Fashion yes, that's a remarkable thing. It's kind of contagious. As soon as any one says it's a fashion trend every one wants it.
I guess it's the need of belonging, to be just like everybody else that makes it. And that's why I don't follow the fashion so much - I don't want to be like every one else! *lol*

Eating is another thing though, I think that many persons eat because they think it's comforting somehow. People don't feel so well nowadays. Maybe it's all the stress we've built up in our society. It's a pity though!

Anonymous said...

This is a great TT! I agree with most of them, so I don't think it has anything to do with age :)
Thanks for visiting mine!

Twisted Cinderella said...

Great TT! Number 11 has always gotten to me too.

Raggedy said...

Great gripe list!
Great TT
Mine is up too

Joan said...

These are definitely some of life's puzzles that helped make popular the expression, "I just don't get it!"

Tug said...

Thanks for visiting! I've seen guys with big pink scrunchies...ewwwwww.

Darla said...

I love it! I did a TT about this a couple months ago. Yep, a lot of these things really baffle me as well. Good to see I'm not alone. :)

Jane said...

I am with you on the low riding pants on guys. I just want to pull them up, it looks SO dumb. I also am appalled at the suggestive clothing for girls...young girls. I just do not understand the parent of a 12 year old letting her dress like a slut...what are they thinking?

Jane said...

By the way, my T13 is up too, come on by for a visit.

Kendra said...

Great List! I love #9 and #13. Men are looking more and more like sissies.

Happy Thursday!

Norma said...

Shrone: Maybe you should try the spring catalog. The winter shows flannel lined. Unless your internship is in Alaska!

Buttercup said...

Hmmm... as a lefty and avid fan of the Sopranos (which is, if nothing else, excellent acting), I'd have to admit I don't agree with everything here.

However, I wholeheartedly agree that the obesity epidemic should not be blamed on restaurants, etc. Parents need to look at what they're eating, and what they're allowing their children to eat. It's pretty simple.

Thanks for visiting my TT!

Buttercup said...

Hmmm... as a lefty and avid fan of the Sopranos (which is, if nothing else, excellent acting), I'd have to admit I don't agree with everything here.

However, I wholeheartedly agree that the obesity epidemic should not be blamed on restaurants, etc. Parents need to look at what they're eating, and what they're allowing their children to eat. It's pretty simple.

Thanks for visiting my TT!

Lazy Daisy said...

Whoa Miss Norma!.....that's the closest thing I've ever heard you say that could be considered "A Rant". You go girl. If you get answers please post them!

Norma said...

Miss Daisy--I had another rant a few months back. Already had to delete one crank.

Nature Girl said...

Hi Norma..Thanks for visiting my TT, I have never heard of a honey crisp.

Great idea for a TT!

Stacie

FRIDAY'S CHILD said...

I too hate gambling shown on TV. It is bad influence to younger sets.
Thanks for passing by.

Dane Bramage said...

I think you hit the nail on the head on each point. My T13 number 12 13 Stress Relievers Edition is up. Stop by if you get a chance!