Saturday, September 02, 2006

2816 Good Food on a Budget

Hillbilly Housewife has some interesting budget and food plans. Back in the days when I wrote "No Free Lunch," an anti-coupon newsletter, I could feed a family of four on less than the amount the USDA charted for poor people--can't remember if it was called the Thrifty Plan then (she mentions this). My point was that games you play with your food (coupons, sweepstakes, clipping barcodes) cost you money at the check-out. Food companies aren't in business to give their products away. She has a menu plan for $45 a week for four-six people, that I doubt I could have put on my table. There's very little meat in it and a lot of beans and rice. However, it is nutritious and inexpensive, and we'd have less of an obesity problem and healthier children if more people put these dinners on the table.

Emergency menu for $45

Make your own convenience food

It's a fun site, easy to read and follow, even if you don't want to cut your food budget.

2 comments:

Amrita Ahuja said...

No I am not in Pennsylvania...

Anonymous said...

useful entry thanks
jen at http://jensthoughtsandfeelings.blogspot.com/