Friday, September 08, 2006

2835 What's in a name?

For yesterday's Thursday Thirteen the contributors were challenged to write 13 things they liked about themselves. I didn't play--I often have mine written ahead of time, and I sort of liked thinking up 13 wedding gifts I still use after 46 years. That alone tells a lot of my good qualities. Sentimental, frugal, careful, tenacious, etc. But I can see why the co-hostess did it. I am puzzled and perplexed by the titles women give their blogs. When I teach people how to blog I encourage them to put a little thought into the title. It is the front door, and if you've ever put your house up for sale, the realtor will tell you: clean up the door, trim the bushes, and put fresh lightbulbs in the lamps. I can't tell you how many versions I see of "crazy," "mad," "goofball," "mundane," "boring," "tired" or not very flattering descriptions of an animal or body part appearing in blog titles. Frankly, I don't want to go much further if I arrive at a pretty template that says the equivalent of, "this blog sucks, why are you here."

If anyone told them that their children were boring or mundane, they'd scratch their eyes out, but for someone reason find it OK to say that about their childrens' mother.

No comments: