Monday, September 25, 2006

Monday Memories

This photo is from my sewing blog, but I'll repost it here because I can't get blogger to upload the photo I wanted to use.


So I'll just list the items here that are "memories." The quilt was made by my grandmother's sister Martha who died in childbirth at age 34 in 1889 leaving a husband and two little boys; the two cloth dolls are mine, one made for me by a neighbor, Ruth Crowell, and one by my mother; next to them is a handmade by my great-grandfather, stackable spool thread holder and pin cushion, with 19th century thread; the 2 glass jars have decorative glass lids and were used for jelly and jam made by my grandmother from her grape arbor; the decorative plate belonged to my husband's grandmother, Neno; the odd shaped metal thing lying on its side was used by my great-grandmother Susan to punch down bread dough back when that activity consumed a lot of a woman's time; the blue glass insulator is from an electric pole probably replaced in the 1940s; the dark cup is actually a sterling silver engraved baby cup given to my daughter by her paternal grandparents (needed some polish); in the cup are engraved baby spoons given to our oldest son; the long flat object is a rug hooker in its original box used by my great-grandmother and I think it was used for repair, not for making rugs.

Hanging on the wall in a ca. 1930s frame is an embroidered saying about mothers, and I think it was made by my husband's mother when she was a teen-ager; the subject of my husband's watercolor on the wall is the barn hay loft on my mother's farm, originally owned by her grandfather, now owned by my brother; the scenes on the quilt over the chair are of buildings in Mt. Morris, IL where my family lived; it is folded on the chair of my husband's grandfather refinished and recaned in the 1970s; and my grandparents' lamp in the foreground was converted from a kerosene lamp to an electric lamp in the early 1900s and is now in my living room.

Along the ceiling is a wallpaper border with book patterns which covered up the cats stenciled there some years before. This room was my office in our house (sold in 2002), and I really liked it because I could look out over the trees and enjoy all the family memories. However, the realtor said we should convert it back to a bedroom in order to sell the house, so we did by packing all this away and borrowing some furniture and toys.

Click here for the Monday Memories Code, Blogroll, Graphics, & Other Information


Trackbacks, pings, and comment links are accepted and encouraged!
I don't use Mr. Linky, so your links will stay put!
My visitors and visited this week are:
Ma, Viamarie, Mrs. Lifecruiser, Reverberate58, Lazy Daisy, Lady Bug, Janene, Michelle, Fruitful Spirit, Anna, Krystyna,Chelle,

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your picture sure has a lot of history! How wonderful that you know so much and will be able to pass those family memories on!

Wonderful Memory!

Thanks for stopping by!

FruitfulSpirit said...

Wow I love the history behind this picture! Great stories and wonderful memories to go with each item. Very nice! Thanks for stopping by and I do hope you have a wonderful week!

Viamarie said...

Great memorable story and stuff.

Happy Tuesday!

krystyna said...

Wonderful blog and
wonderful Memory !
blessing and peace to you!

Anonymous said...

Those memories and items are amazing, cherish those things!