Saturday, November 19, 2016

Sports injuries reports compared

Ready for a walk around the neighborhood, April 2015

I've always been a non-athlete.  I got one C in college and it was in tennis.  The instructor was about 8 months pregnant, so I don't think she was expecting much from me, and I met her expectations.  Walking or riding my exercycle are my limits.  No golf.  No tennis. No yoga. No soccer. I meet women over 60 or 70 who at one time were serious athletes who played soccer or softball in college and on community teams or who were joggers and runners and now are in constant recovery in their later years from hip and knee problems and surgeries--and some battling obesity because they were accustomed to burning a lot of calories.   But I do read articles about sports and health because I'm sort of medical information junkie.  There are a lot of injuries. This article included summaries of several reports, one of which showed how injury statistics have been under reported because they used primarily ER statistics, but 50% get care at their doctor's office.

Girls are more likely to get injured than boys while playing the same sport. . . Football, lacrosse, and wrestling athletes were the most likely to suffer season- or career-ending injuries among boys, while gymnastics, soccer, and basketball were the most likely girls' sports to manifest these injuries. For both sexes, contact was the most common cause of major injuries. . . . yoga injury rates are increasing, especially in participants 65 and up -- who are also more prone to injury than others.. .Outside the U.S., a new study linking sports participation level with anterior crucial ligament injury risk also found contact to be the leading injury mechanism, and girls to be more injury-prone than boys while playing the same sport.  http://www.medpagetoday.com/SportsMedicine/GeneralSportsMedicine/61555

No comments: