Wednesday, November 16, 2016

Subtle messaging in PSAs

This morning I watched a very sweet PSA, "Put a little love in your heart" and the sponsors were a variety of organizations and name brands which quickly left my mind. You know the song (I won't sing it here), and photos of various singles and groups and ethnicities roll by. The only nuclear family group--mom, dad, kids--were white. I think all elderly--black and white--were alone, young people were alone or shown with one or two others.  Not sure I saw disabled, but one young teen had the knit cap which might indicate cancer recovery, and she was playing guitar accompaniment, but again, was alone. Not sure that a message about love should feature so many solitary figures--especially the elderly. Life is hard; take a friend with you on the journey.

No comments: