Saturday, November 04, 2006

3038 Close, but no cigar.

A WSJ reader, writing about what ails married people commented this week, "Alcoholism and domestic violence, not gay marriage, not pre-nuptial agreements, not no-fault divorce, not co-habitation are the real threats facing families in this country." [Anthony Smith, Arlington, VA] I didn't read the article he was referring to, but just based on his letter, I'd have to disagree. Alcoholism and violence may be a problem for some, but of the marriages I've seen dissolve in the last 40 years, none were for those reasons. In fact, I've seen some incredibly "stable" marriages that are quite pickled in alcohol because of the dependency thing. What I see breaking up marriages is infidelity, greed, materialism and lust for power. The things he says are not a problem are just those problems with new faces.

No comments: