Thursday, November 23, 2006

A new blog for the growing years

This year, the oldest Baby Boomers turn 60, and, as of July 2005, the U.S. Census Bureau reported that 78.2 million Americans are counted among that generation. They are still influencing styles and thought because of their sheer numbers and they are used to being catered to. Yesterday I heard on Paul Harvey that they aren't happy with the movies and have enough ticket purchasing power to influence some changes (I wish them luck, but they'll probably have to undo some other changes). Also, I answered a poll on a blog yesterday about "do you like the trend back to wearing dresses" and about 85% of the readers answered yes (I haven't seen the trend in Columbus, OH, but did notice it in Europe). I hope this catches on at church.

Anyway, I've started a new blog--Growth Industry which is for bloggers and readers over 50. Topics will focus on interests and stories for those over 50--investments, health, retirement, leisure, travel, spirituality, friendships, grandchildren, fashion, pets, hobbies, and memories. I'm linking to mature, wise, and friendly bloggers and so far they range from 50 through the 80s. I met a woman at the coffee shop on Saturday who told me about buying a second home in Florida and how she did it which will be a great topic if I can get her to write it up. My own real estate purchases tend to be a bit on the emotions side of the equation, so I thought I needed another viewpoint. And she is 49 3/4.

I hope you'll stop by for a visit, and let me know if you'd like to offer a thought or essay (use the above e-mail). I can post the whole thing, cross post, or summarize and link back to you.

I'm sticking this at the top for today, so scroll down for the rest.

4 comments:

lilalia said...

A year or two ago I heard a bbc radio program where an American economist (sorry, don't remember his name) was mentioning the phenomena in this post: babyboomers turning 60. He called this new generation the Age Wave. I don't know if he proposed to name or it is an accepted name.

His point is that when the scales tip between young and old, as they will be doing in the next 5-15 years in most western countries, the effects on medicine, economy, government, business… Everything will feel the repercussions, much in the same way of a giant wave. So, it’s time we get out their and make the needed changes known.

Anonymous said...

all the best on the new blog Norma

Anonymous said...

I went over and had a look at the new blog and it looks really promising! Keep it up.

I'll try to keep it mind in case of any post material.

I'm kind of busy these days though, so it might go a while...

Anonymous said...

Good for you Norma! I look forward to reading your new blog as much as all the others and your timing couldn't be better. I turn 50 Monday!