Monday, November 27, 2006

3219 Using reverse psychology on teen-age smokers

The Cheerful Oncologist has found some discouraging news about advertisements and slogans telling teens not to smoke--it apparently makes it more appealing, especially if it comes from parents.

"If I was in charge I would require all cigarette packs to have the following message printed on them:

I WANT TO TURN UGLY AND DIE A MISERABLE DEATH

Or perhaps teens should be inundated with posters showing some of the consequences of smoking, like this one, or this one.
Then again, since teens are supposedly stubborn and resistant to authority, why don't we yell at them to start smoking and keep smoking? "Goddammit I told you to smoke, now either you get in there and light up or you will lose the car for a week!"

4 comments:

Chaotic Mom said...

I LOVE your ideas for posters!!!!!

Anonymous said...

Excellent ideas!

Reverse psychology is probably the most useful tool knowing teenagers! We have rented a flat out tow two teenagers with a no smolking clause. They think that we can't smell the smoke..... That is how hardened to smoking they are. Sad really.

Sally

Anonymous said...

This is the opinion of a former smoker: Nothing stinks worse than a smoker. I never new it when I smoked, but now it's one of the things that keeps me from ever going back to the habit (along with death, wrinkles, bad influence on my children, cost, etc.). Nasty habit. And how silly does someone look with a flaming stinky stick hanging from their lips?

Anonymous said...

Wow, Norma I love that! As an proud non-smoker, I don't know what I'd do if one of my kids someday came home smelling of smoke!! The pictures you linked to really say it all.

Thanks for stopping by my bog today! Have a wonderful week!