Saturday, October 29, 2016

Delicious broths and drinks

My set of Revere Ware is about 54 years old--I know it wasn't a wedding gift, so I'm guessing the age. But it wasn't until about 10 years ago I actually used the stainless steel steamer insert which fits 2 of the sauce pans. Oh my--the joys I missed all those years. Lately I've been making various "broth" drinks. Sometimes I use just one chicken thigh (bone and skin included) and have delicious chicken broth; sometimes I use up some tired old vegetables like limp green beans or carrots, or a frozen vegetable past its prime. I used up half a cuke and tossed in some onions, and it was marvelous chilled. But lately I've been trying it with fruit. Yesterday I threw in a small handful of red grapes, and had a delicious drink, but decided to taste the grapes before tossing them, and they were fabulous. Apples and oranges don't work well, but cranberries, blueberries and strawberries make a great drink as an alternative to coffee or tea. 

Also, if you need a "fast" after having pizza and chocolate pie for dinner, this is a good solution for the next day, like today.

No comments: